- Finish not dry before taping, causing solvent entrapment between finish and tape.
- Using a non-automotive tape for multi-color finishes. Solvents from additional color soak through the tape and into the previous color.
- Compound and polish to remove texture.
- Or, sand with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper, compound and polish to restore gloss.
- Or, sand and refinish.
- Allow the finish to thoroughly dry before masking.
- Use only high quality automotive masking tape.
- Determine if it is safe to tape on freshly painted surfaces by applying a small piece of tape to the surface for 10-15 minutes; remove and check for imprinting.
- De-tack the tape before applying by pulling the adhesive side of the tape over your pant leg or between your fingers.
- Remove the tape as quickly as possible after applying additional color(s).